The Virtues of Fasting




What comes first in the mind when we hear the word “FASTING” … is that we have to spend the day without having food?  Or stay hungry all day?

WHY?

Have you ever thought why fasting has to be done and what’s it sole purpose?
Have you ever questioned what fasting really means and why/How it has to be done?

Maybe you never questioned
OR
Maybe you questioned but never got an answer.


Here is my story …….. How I started questioning and how I found some of the answers.

From the time I started traveling around the world my all beliefs were shaken. I found several meanings and facts for the one belief of mine which I thought are the only truth because everyone in my family and community is doing it so religiously without questioning.

Now when my beliefs were shaken I had to rebuild the trust in it or just let it go. Letting go was the last option as due to some obligations I had to follow it, so I started questioning each and every belief I was holding since I was born in this world and this process made me a better person, a person who is not so rigid in thoughts, who is more receptive in nature, who is willing to know the unknown and willing to learn and grow.

Here are my findings related to fasting which gave me some insight and understanding that what fasting really means and why & how should I do it.

In usual ways by fasting we give rest to the body but our mind and soul never get the opportunity to get some rest which we usually call restlessness and it leads to several other problems as well.
Real meaning of fasting according to me is to cleanse your mind, body and soul. On a daily basis we start storing the diseases, bitterness, hatred, irritation, frustration and sadness. To clean all this dirt, one ay fasting is required on weekly basis.

So I decided to create a new definition for fasting for myself so that I trust and do it because its existence is well known to me …

  1. Fasting at the level of body - Cleansing body only with liquid diet for 24hrs. Its sole purpose is to strengthen the body and its vital functions. 
  2. Fasting at the level of mind – Cleansing of mind with being non judgmental and compassionate for 24hrs. Do not judge or get angry on anything or anyone for 24hrs.Its sole purpose is to strengthen the mind by being aware of thought process within self. 
  3. Fasting at the level of soul- Cleansing of soul with meditation and prayer. Meditate in silence for at least 1hr in the morning and 1hr in the night. Pray all day long for everyone around and give thanks for everything given. Its sole purpose is to strengthen the soul by healing the memories and past experiences.
When I do fasting by following above mentioned process it heals all three levels together and I rejuvenate my being.

Lets Re-think and form a belief system which is unshakable not because it’s rigid in nature but because it has all answers in it.


You may read further to understand that many times we ignore what’s being said years ago in favor of human well being.

From the Book of Isaiah, chapter 58:6–7
This passage indicates that the fasting is not merely abstinence from food or water, but a decision to fully obey God's commands to care for the poor and oppressed.
(verse 6) “Is not this the fast that I choose:
   to loose the bonds of wickedness,
   to undo the straps of the yoke,
   to let the oppressed go free,
   and to break every yoke?
(7) Is it not to share your bread with the hungry
   and bring the homeless poor into your house;
   when you see the naked, to cover him,
   and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?"

From the Book of Isaiah, chapter 58:8–9
This passage indicates the benefits of fasting and its effects on the health.
 (verse 8) "Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
(9) Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I."


Once when the Buddha was touring in the region of Kasi together with a large sangha of monks he addressed them saying:
“I, monks, do not eat a meal in the evening. Not eating a meal in the evening I, monks, am aware of good health and of being without illness and of buoyancy and strength and living in comfort. Come, do you too, monks, not eat a meal in the evening. Not eating a meal in the evening you too, monks, will be aware of good health and..... and living in comfort.”


Some more articles related to fasting….
Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10878625/Fasting-for-three-days-can-regenerate-entire-immune-system-study-finds.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day of Birth

Don't Worry Be Burfi !!

Let me fall in love with you ....